V I P E R L A I R .com - Forums  

Welcome to the V I P E R L A I R .com - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   V I P E R L A I R .com - Forums > Hardware and Software > Tweaks, Tips & Tech Support
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2003, 04:56 PM
ricercar's Avatar
ricercar ricercar is offline
g0m0
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 516
ricercar is off the scale
Always clear CMOS when flashing ROM!

I learned the hard way that it's best to clear all CMOS every time you flash a BIOS ROM. Yesterday I figured I could hotflash a ROM without clearing the CMOS, since I was flashing the same ROM version that I booted the machine with. Don't do that!

It would take me half an hour to list all the problems it caused. The machine was suddenly complaining about weird stuff, like bad memory, and unrecognized IDE devices, and lack of CPU support. It didn't even matter which BIOS chip was installed. I had three good ROMs and all three were having trouble. the CMOS was corrupted even more than a LOAD DEFAULTS could cure! When I finally wised up and reflashed with clear CMOS options, all problems went away like magic.

It's best to clear all CMOS at the time you flash a BIOS ROM. For example, don't omit the bold commands:

AWDFLASH.EXE filename.bin /py /sn /cc /cp /cd /R

You have been warned.
__________________
Vengeance is the lazy man's grief.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2003, 05:12 PM
UnknownSouljer UnknownSouljer is offline
Another Lost Soul
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,178
UnknownSouljer has a spectacular aura aboutUnknownSouljer has a spectacular aura about
Good thing I don't know what any of those back slashed thingies mean. I just do what I'm told! At least in realtion to flashing my bios (I just followed a tutorial and stuck with it).
__________________
'~"Soli Deo Gloria"~'
If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if your rob us shall we not revenge?
あ? なんでもない。。。
http://www.viperlair.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2003, 05:19 PM
ricercar's Avatar
ricercar ricercar is offline
g0m0
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 516
ricercar is off the scale
Type this to get the help screen

AWDFLASH /?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Coldspell Coldspell is offline
g0m0
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 967
Coldspell is off the scale
I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's easier to learn from your own mistakes - but learning from other's mistakes = a lot less consequences you have to deal with.

Thank Ricer - must copy and paste to my essential notes file
__________________
When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2003, 11:58 AM
bAd_Poultry's Avatar
bAd_Poultry bAd_Poultry is offline
Biggest Cock in the Barnyard
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 922
bAd_Poultry will become famous soon enough
I thought that this would get lost and its such a good piece of info, so "poof" its a sticky
__________________
Women are like Hurricanes, when they cum they are wet, wild and blow alot. When they leave they take your house and car.
Reply With Quote
Reply
  V I P E R L A I R .com - Forums > Hardware and Software > Tweaks, Tips & Tech Support


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Price Search:    for    


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright © 2001-2004 Viper Lair
[Output: 48.07 Kb. compressed to 44.69 Kb. by saving 3.37 Kb. (7.01%)]