www.Viperlair.com Forums - Where g0m0s run wild! Forum Index
Login Register FAQ Memberlist Search www.Viperlair.com Forums - Where g0m0s run wild! Forum Index

Current State of Tech Sites
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Viperlair.com Forums - Where g0m0s run wild! Forum Index -> Free for All
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElementXsoftwarE
Ineffable Wurm of Hate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Current State of Tech Sites Reply with quote

I read the article posted about the current state of tech sites. I am the owner of tweakbox.net, and I hope that VL doesn't view this as one of those crappy sites they were talking about. Anyway, I would have to agree with the article whole heartedly. I really try to give a clear opinion of the ups and downs of a product when I review it. I'm new to the whole thing though so I know I have some improvements to make. I also agree with the fact that we should all post each others news and support each other. That is one of the biggest factors in pulling readers to my site. I also realize that I don't post much news on my site, but that is because I don't get it sent to me. I would gladly post any news that was sent to me but I don't have the time to surf around to all the tech sites and look at their news and reviews and post news of that on my site, there isn't enough time in the day to do that.

I just get pissed off about how hard it is to get a product for review. I have tried quite hard, but have been unsuccessful in about 95% of my attempts. I don't know if I'm not asking right or what, but the fact that some sites that get products to review don't do even a half ass job of it. I saw one review for a GeForce 4 TI that didn't give any benchmarks, any frame rates or anything. He just said, "This card really increased the visual quality in Tropico and Never Winter Nights. I was really impressed." Who in the heck would give this moron a video card to review?!? Those are the kind of people that make it hard for people like me to provide a good, honest review of a product.

But I will keep trying and if anyone out there would like to give me any tips/pointers on how to improve my website, please do. But don't be mean or rude because that just isn't what I'm asking for.

I thank anyone that took the time to read my ranting here, I feel better now that I have said a little something and also that I know that I'm not the only one out there feeling this way.
Go to hell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it is cool that you live in a town called Defiance.

ElementXsoftwarE
Ineffable Wurm of Hate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've had quite a fair share of people comment on that smile.gif
VL Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is hard. As Hubert stated on the Front Page, when he first started the site, pretty much EVERYTHING we reviewed was either a free download, something we already had, or something we paid for. The last 7-12 months things started to take off, and it was only thru persevarance and patience that we got decent suppliers who understand that our readers just want to know what there buying, and not read an advert. That said, we still have to pay now and again for products smile.gif

You want advice? Patience and Persaverance.
Mixam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well been a while since I posted, cause I'm very busy with my jobs. I really liked your article, and would like to let you know that when Jim at monster-hardware wrote an article very similar to that over a year ago, it made me notice his small site and visit more often. I found him to be such a respectable person in fact, that I joined the staff and have been posting news since.

I think after reading that article, your site has entered into the top 5 sites I will be visiting when looking for news to post. I don't know if you have us on your mailing list, but send us a link and a short explaination when you get new stuff up at news@
monster-hardware.c*m. I don't know if you do yet, cause Jim is the one that checks that account but I will really look forward to reading more of your articles.

I would also like to visit your forums more often, but I don't have very much spare time at the moment since I'm on a working holiday in England and can't always connect to the net for long.
SeNorSPiNE
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: [H]ardOCP and OCZ ram? Reply with quote

What is hardocp's big problem with OCZ ram? I keep reading reviews that say it's good stuff, and hear good things about it, but HardOCP seems to have a real hate for it. Does it have anything to do with the massive Corsair banners they have all over their site? eyes.gif

I mention this in this thread because it was mentioned in that article that Hardocp was knocking this place because of it's OCZ banner
VL Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, reader response has been good so far, and I suppose the easiest way to reply to all of them is here...

First of all, thanks for the comments, and support. This was something that has been sitting on the back of my mind for a long time, and felt it was time to say something about it. We're no small fry anymore, and I have received some backlash from a few sites who I've targeted in the article. I felt that although I am opposed to site bashing, I was careful not to mention names. It seems I didn't have to since they knew who I was talking about.

I can see how ppl can interprete the article as whiney, but fact is, I was more angry than anything. I honestly don't give a flying fuck if a company blows VL off. As Sean said yesterday, VL has some solid sponsors, including "small" resellers who helped us from day 1. They are the ones I really care about, and given our good professional relationships, as VL continues it's march to a new world order, we'll remember those who helped us. stareup.gif

For some of the webmasters who I seemed to scare the hell out of (regarding news reciprocation), I do not expect you to bend over and take every news release and post it if you don't feel it's appropriate. We don't post everyone's news either, even those from sites we do like, simply because it may not be of interest for our readers. I am only talking about those who specifically email me 5 times a week with their press releases (which I used to post), but never
post ours in return.

As for the whole [H] incident, and feedback, we are not striving to be another [H]. We do our own thing here, but I am a reader of [H], and VL as a whole gets along fine with Kyle and the gang. Whatever problems others may have with him, it just doesn't apply to us. I know of a few sites who have issues, and I do understand why, but it's not our policy to jump into other people's business.
http://www.viperlair.com
Mixam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senorspine [H] is bashing OCZ because they have, and still do, have shitty service. Its not really the ram they really have the problem with, but the sellers who are horrible at taking back defective products.
Mr. T

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps off topic, but... The best OCZ memory to buy is used OCZ memory!! Get stuff that has already been tested... lol.gif

I have a few sticks, and made sure to buy them from people on forums that I trusted to be giving me the straight scoop on the performance, and the one stick I bought new was from Newegg to make sure that any potential return would be pain free!!

Just my handful of pennies on that.

On another note... I think I first said the article may be taken as "whiny" yesterday, and a few have now commented on this using the spelling "whiney". Both are perfectly acceptable forms of the word, how does one choose which they prefer? erm.gif

eyes.gif at myself...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said this a couple of time already and I will say it again great article.

You really got to the point. megacool.gif
scapegoat
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandviper, Great Article , you really did get the point out.

I myself am a mod/reviewer for Pimprig.com and i have to say i agree whole heartdly with your article. Just like you we strive on making our reviews as intensive and fact driven as possible, providing ever relative bit of info, good or bad. And we pride ourselves on giving an honest review. You can see this for yourself.

I understand you view on the news posting issue. I myself and one other person post every good review coming across the wire. But i have noticed myself the lack of reciprication of some sites (Not Viperlair, you guys have always been good bout that)

Again Great Job, keep up the good work smile.gif

Last edited by scapegoat on Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total
Domicron
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone completely new to this forum and this website, let me just say

Domicron is a ghey midget **Edited by a Canadian**

alright now with that off of my chest, i found this whole article a little dry but sorta insightful. some actual proof of what you said would much better support your article to someone like me who doesn't really get around to too many tech sites. i understand your apprehensive stance on giving names for fear of startin unnecessary trouble, but if you feel so strongly that these sites are writing false reviews dont you think you should step up and point them out as the eyesores that they are to we, the tech geek / consumer?

Domicron

"I'm just watching a dream I never wake up from"
~ Spike Spiegel
Sean
Go to hell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't diss Canada.

agnOstos

Location: sandviper's backdoor knocking but he won't let me in!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domicron, after your first statement, I wouldn't give you the sweat off my balls. I have no idea what nationality you are but to say CANADA SUCKS like you did is total BS. You must have a really low tolerance for good beer, great hockey, Pamela Anderson, and a wonderful ally to our north. Don't you think that YOU should step up to the plate and apologize for such a shit statement? confused_eye.gif
ElementXsoftwarE
Ineffable Wurm of Hate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, what's up with a comment like that. Why would someone off and say something like that and then expect an answer to a question that isn't really relevant to the situation. Enough information was given in the article for someone that doesn't know the difference between the power and reset buttons to spot a shit review! jeeze, think before you speak man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Viperlair.com Forums - Where g0m0s run wild! Forum Index -> Free for All All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: